Sunday, December 24, 2006

Unlike some of our knitting brothers and sisters I move along on certain projects at glacial speed. As a result, I've been working on a Christmas hat, scarf, and mitten set since, oh, October. They are to be mailed to my oldest friend as soon as I finish them (hopefully still in time for her to enjoy them this winter). Tonight, I was at a christmas party with a group of near strangers and, as I often am these days, was sitting quietly knitting my soft buttery yellow yarn into a scarf. One of the other guests (a woman I've met twice before) asked if I was knitting for "a reason" I was dumbfounded. Of course I'm knitting for a reason. Don't we ALL knit for a reason? I smiled and said yes, I was in fact knitting for a reason. She became all excited and congratulatory and asked when I was due. Horrors! The person evidently assumed that the only reason a woman my age (29) would knit anything would be because of impending motherhood. *sigh*

3 comments:

Kristy said...

Oh this story cracks me up!! Aren't people just amazing in their audacity sometimes?! So funny. I hope you set her straight! :)

Penny said...

Obviously you're too trendy for her!

Kristy said...

Robyn, are you blogging somwhere else? I keep checking in but nothing new from you. I want to know more about Knitting with Corn! :)