Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Graft and re-Graft

Ordinarily, I wouldn't feel the need to point out the silly things that I decorate my blog with but LOOK! It's a skinny cute little knitting me (with pointy ears! )! If you want your own cute little knitting you, head on over to www.meez.com and join. In the space where it asks who referred you, type cornssss (note the fourth s) and you'll get five free coinz to deck yourself out (can't get the knitting or the wedding ring without coinz). In the interest of full disclosure, I also get coinz for any references that join up . . . but they're of no use in the real world. Also, Kelly? They've got Hairspray outfits! I'm ashamed to admit that I could easily send hours in there messing around and playing dollies.

On to the knitting content. I finished monkey 1, did something that I was calling kitchenering, and decided that it looked absolutely horrible. There are no pictures because it was very very bad, however, I do have witnesses to the badness.


Last night found me on the couch, muttering and grumbling as I returned to this point:


















Once I got back to the start, I ran the video found here, watched it maybe three or four times, gritted my teeth and settled in to graft my little heart out. In the end, I did this:








I could only be more pleased if it'd looked like this on the first try.
And so, I'm proud to present Monkey 1.
The cool sock blocker is a bent-out-of-shape coat hanger. I found the tutorial here thanks to this post of Kristy's.
Tonight you'll find me on the couch doing this:
and watching Mike Rowe play with reptiles on Dirty Jobs.

Incidentally, Monkey 2 came to the immigration offices with me yesterday and evidently the size 2 bamboos she's on were not deemed nearly as dangerous as the zeros that Boudica was on. No chin poking test this time (the last time I was at the immigration offices, the screener checked to see how dangerous my needles were by stabbing himself in the chin repeatedly with them.) and while I was able to while away my time without getting bored, all of the knitting I did got frogged thanks to a ginormous error made as soon as I got there. I got my new stamp and so I'm good to go for another year. Next year at this time, I'll be able to apply for my long term (ten year) green card. Woot!

5 comments:

Julie Lynn Paper co. said...

Yeah...one more year! As a coincidence I am currently watching Mike Rowe play with the reptiles tonight.

Great Monkey! Nice job grafting that toe!

Kristy said...

Three cheers for your new stamp!! Hip Hip Hurray!!! I am so happy to hear that you got your new stamp. We are a better place for keeping you here! :)

The Monkey, particularly that kitchener, looks absolutely stellar. I have a sick little love affair with the kitchener stitch. I have on occasion, when I didn't have any knitting on the needles, knit up two little patches and practiced grafting them together just for the fun of it. ha! Twisted, I know.

Also, I absolutely meant to comment on your cute little knitter you in the sidebar last night. It is adorable. I myself cannot go there right now and create one of my own because I would spend some ungodly number of hours messing around with it (a bit of self awareness on my part) so for now I will admire yours from afar.

Oh oh...and also, bonus points for you for getting those dangerous little sticks through security.

Kristy said...

Oh and furthermore, I love love Mike Rowe and Dirty Jobs. Seriously, though, Mike Rowe could come to my house and read a crochet pattern (yep, even that) to me and I would be happy as a clam. Such a sexy voice, that man.

Kelly said...

Yay! Stamp is done! Monkey looks great! I love the knitting "you"....on my way to get one of me...after all, I am a follower and a joiner!

Knitted Gems said...

Thanks for the Meez link. I had to make my doll straight away! I think she looks a lot like me.

Your monkeys are looking great. Can't wait to see them finished.