Friday, August 31, 2007

Embarrassment and E-mail

Kristy is having a contest over at her blog with many great prizes (go! Join! I'll wait.) and one of the things that she's looking for in the way of submissions is your most embarrassing story. Well, in addition to the three I've already dug out of my suppressed memories and shared over there, there's this one. . .
In September of 2005, I joined Mathboy for a week in New York City. We had a lovely time seeing the sights although, to my sorrow, we never made it to Ellis Island to visit the Statue of Liberty. When the week was up I returned to LaGuardia and got there in plenty of time for my flight home to Toronto. I successfully negotiated my way through screening and customs and on to the correct gate and took a seat in the waiting area (this was B.K. [before knitting]). After what seemed like forever, they finally made the boarding call for my flight and, after handing my ticket over, was guided to my seat. I had just gotten settled when a large group of Orthodox Jews boarded (yes, that matters) One of the men approached me and told me that I was sitting in his seat. I smiled and jokingly suggested that he would have to spend the flight in my lap if he meant to sit there (whoops . . . evidently I shocked them with my brazenness). Amid gasps of horror from his companions (yes really . . . and the men were more upset than the women) he stomped off to get a flight attendant. Well, it turned out that this airline (who I would boycott if I could remember which it was) had TWO flights, with the same flight number, within an hour or so of each other, both were headed to Toronto and I was meant to be on the second one. I shamefacedly slunk off the full plane and found an isolated niche in which to await my actual flight and cool my flaming cheeks.

Did any of you Florida types receive the latest e-mail from Knit'n'Knibble? Well, e-mails. I could be wrong but I suspect the proprietor has a bit of an infection going in her computer. Either that or she has a lot of answering to do to the entire mailing list whose addresses were made available in two of the three messages.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I once knew a Navy diver who got drunk, GOT ON THE WRONG AIRCRAFT CARRIER, pulled the rude guy who was sleeping in 'his' rack out and smacked him around, then crawled in and passed out. The next morning he had to wake up and face the guy whose bunk he'd been sleeping in.

In comparison, I think you did just fine.

International Scarf Exchange said...

I've done a lot of very stupid things. Although that would be very embarrassing and I would be wishing for a nice big sweater project to hide behind.