Monday, August 13, 2007

Gotta Question.

I know, I know, it seems like I only ever blog any more when I'm whining or want something from you all and I promise I'm working on changing that. Probably.
Anyways. Over the next three weeks, Mathboy and I have been invited to two parties hosted by his co-workers. One's retirement party and the other is just a gathering. I know many of the people who will be attending but not well and some I've only met once.
My question is this; Should I take my knitting? It would probably be a sock but it might be Clapotis.
Mathboy would say, if I asked, but I'm not, that the knitting should stay in the car but he also thinks that the knitting should stay in the car when we're going to a restaurant or assorted other places where I just know that I'm going to get fidgety without a dose of yarn. (took the knitting into the red and blue home improvements store the other day, over his objections, and it saved me while he played with plumbing bits for half an hour).
So. What say you all? Non-knitters are also welcome to comment.

2 comments:

Alyson said...

What's infuriating for us is that WE know we're capable of knitting and carrying on conversations or being involved in a social event. But other people see you bringing your knitting as a sign of aloofness, like you're not engaging. I've taken my knitting to parties and to readings and things where people expect one to be completely focused, and while I know I can focus and knit away with no problem, they don't. Travis never has a problem with me carrying my knitting everywhere we go - but I avoid it at work unless I'm at lunch, and I'd avoid it at anything associated with his work - It's irritating enough if people were to give you a hard time about it, but you don't want people giving HIM a hard time about your knitting.

Dr. B. said...

Alyson really nailed it. I think it reads much differently than we are feeling it. I'm gonna say it would do more harm than good to take it. For what that's worth.

Also, thank you for your kind birthday wishes to my dad. That was very sweet of you.

Cheers!