Friday, June 01, 2007

So Spoiled

Evidently the budgetary constraints don't extend to alcohol :-)


I should explain. One of my all time favourite alcoholic beverages is the Cherry Cheesecake. It's a mixed drink that consists of one part Cranberry juice and one part Vanilla Schnapps. I've been wanting one, I kid you not, for a year. However, Vanilla schnapps had proven themselves to be nearly impossible to find here. I would go into liquor stores or bars and ask and always get blank stares. Finally I approached the owner of an ABC who was from Boston and he knew what I was talking about. I was so excited . . . until he told me that he hadn't ever seen any Vanilla Schnapps outside of the Northeast. My next step was begging friends and family who were travelling north to please, please, stop in a liquor store and see if they could find me a bottle of Dr. McGillicuddy's delicious vanilla elixir. No dice. I resigned myself to waiting until I could make a trip home to Ontario where I would make a pilgrimage to the LCBO and stock up. Well, last night, Mathboy came home with a mysterious brown paper bag.


Oohhh, Vanilla Liqueur. How nice. And then I noticed the little scrolly bit on the label above the name.

It's Dr. McGillicuddy's! Albeit a fancy import *snicker*. I love that you can buy Molson's and Labatts in the import section too...not that I would. Anyways, I had a bottle of cranberry juice in the fridge so I was finally able to satisfy a year long craving. Mmmmmmmm. Go find this stuff if you can. It even comes with a little tag filled with recipe suggestions (next on my list of things to try? The French Tickler) but you can pretty much mix it with anything. Hurray for Canadian booze.

1 comment:

Miss Scarlett said...

Mmmm that sounds good. But why is it called Cherry Cheesecake?? Am I missing some ingredient?

What part of the US did you move to - and dare I ask, why?

McGillicuddy's makes some seriously good stuff. Love that Fireball. Hmmmm I might need to visit the Liquor Store soon.